For the majority of my time as a user, an advocate and now teacher of how to use Mind Mapping in Business, I have been primarily someone who has concentrated on using hand drawn maps.
I have dabbled in using Mind Mapping Software, primarily to help deliver training programmes and seminars, but until the end of last year, I really wasn’t using it to its fullest potential.
Over the last 6 months I have really been getting into benefitting from the power of using Mind Mapping software to help be run my business more effective.
This isn’t just about me having to use it because it is within my sphere of interest and specialism.
No this is about finding practical ways to benefit from the combination of up to date technology with an amazing thinking process.
Here is an example of how it is benefitting me right now.
I am working on a very complext project with a client that involves these activities:
- Keeping track of multiple and parallel lines of communication between as many as 20 different people in at least 4 different time zones
- Monitoring and collating an ever increasing library of inter-related documents in at least 3 different forms
- Designing a programme of facilitation against the ever changing requirements of a demanding client
- Collating and arranging the assembly of a resource list to support a complex and involved facilitation
- Understanding the structural and organisational complexities of an international company
- Researching and learning about new areas of knowledge outside of my own professional and academic training
- Meeting, networking with and keeping track of my notes about the personnel involved in the project
- and much, much more….
In the past I would have found it extremely difficult to not only keep track of all this but also retain sufficient mental capacity to contribute creatively to the solution we are developing for this particular client.
However through the creative application of Mind Mapping Software (Mind Manager in particular) all of this is being managed from one single map.
In just a few seconds I can review the entire project and with just a couple of clicks can access any document I want from the many that have been collated for this project.
It is incredible just how empowering it is to feel in so much control over something with so much complexity and it is all down to using Mind Mapping Software.
I am just surprised it has taken me so long to buy into the benefits of using the software.
So the moral of the story is this – if you are a dyed in the wool hand Mind Mapper who has resisted using Mind Mapping Software, then I think it is time you investigated it because you are not only missing out by not using it, you are probably being left behind.